Google Adsense

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Post Holiday Sensory Bin

Here is our wrapping paper and bow sensory bin we came up with using leftovers from Christmas. My son (13 mo) LOVED the bows on Christmas. He played with them while his presents were being opened by other people. Also, I've noticed that while he really didn't have much interest in tearing the wrapping paper off his gifts, he does often like to tear apart a random paper or tissue that he gets a hold of. So, seeing all the sensory bins other people have been doing on various blogs, I decided to give it a try. Here are some photos. (You can also see our light box in some of the photos.)





Yeah, little buddy is very active and tends to get distracted sometimes, but that's ok. He did come back to it.



He decided to decorate the light box all on his own :)

As you can see, I just used a drawer from my plastic storage cart.
Remember, a sensory "bin" can be anything that will hold the necessary items.



He did end up tearing some of the paper up. He carried one piece all around the room with him for a while. I used different types of wrapping paper in the bin. The shiny and see through ones could not be easily ripped. I wanted to see what he would do if he couldn't tear it, but he never got that far. 

Also, an important thing to remember in learning through play is that there are no such things as mistakes and  that messes are ok. Example: I knocked L's cereal on the floor and it spilled right in front of him. Just as I was about to get frustrated, he began picking them up one by one and putting them in the container I had just given him to play with. What was especially great about this is that earlier I had been showing him how to clean up his blocks from the floor (since he LOVES to throw them there, but rarely picks them up). So you can see why I was a little happily surprised! I love how little ones always put you in check and help you remember the important things. Each and every moment can be a teaching moment if you seize the opportunity.

Have you seized the opportunity for a teachable moment recently? Leave me a comment about it!

CLICK HERE TO SEE WHERE I LINK UP

10 comments:

  1. That's a great idea, I especially like the light box. I'm your newest follower. I found you from Stephanie @ Teaching in Room 6.

    Happy New Year!

    Always 
    Live.Laugh.Teach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am so glad I found your blog. I am a home educating mom to 3 little ones..ages 2, 4 and 7 and love your ideas! I am a new follower!

    Melissa
    The Joys of Home Educating

    peace to your 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sensory box idea! I love how he decorated the light box too! ;)

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea! And you are so right about every moment being a teaching moment if you just seize the opportunity. You are so creative and a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! My babe was more interested in the paper too. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up at Teach Me Tuesday!! This is just awesome!

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun thing to do with some leftover supplies - my kids LOVE wrapping & bows and what-not. THis would be right up their alley!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Have a GREAT weekend,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am following your blog now too! I would love for you to share this post at my What's on the Tray party this week.

    http://his4homeschooling.blogspot.com/2012/01/whats-on-tray-wednesday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this at WOTT! I am going to use this idea next year for sure :)

    ReplyDelete