Google Adsense

Monday, January 16, 2012

Upcycling Beads and Charms

So here is my crafty invention for the week. (Although I'm sure someone has done it before and way better). I decorated a bead and a charm from an old necklace using my Cricut and some Mod Podge.


Let me just start by saying, I have never used Mod Podge before. This was my first attempt. I have been seeing so many crafts online using it, I had to buy some and try it out. I have all kinds of ideas to try, but let's start with one at a time.

First, I cut small designs out of paper(thin purple paper for the stars on the bead) or sticker paper(gold for the charm):

Then I stuck the cutouts to the bead and charm and applied the Mod Podge:

Very simple process. I think the results were... ok for my first time. You can't see the Mod Podge on the bead much, but there are some streaks on the charm. I think it was the type of brush I used. Next time, I would use a softer smoother brush.

I think you could do something similar to this with kids. The Mod Podge would have to be carefully supervised though. I am pretty sure it's toxic judging by the smell of it. Have the children get creative and see what they would want to decorate... a pet rock perhaps :)

What have you used Mod Podge for? Let me know what you think!





4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I think it turned out very cute. :) I used mod podge for the first time on my cupcake ornaments. It was fun!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! They look great :) I love to use mod podge, so many neat things to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a smart idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Mod Podge really CAN do just about anything, can't it?! Thanks for sharing at shine on fridays!!

    ReplyDelete