Google Adsense

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Composting

The last couple of weeks, my preschoolers have been doing a plant theme and today we read a big book about growing a vegetable garden. As I was asking the children what they knew about growing vegetables, the subject of composting was brought up. So, I decided to look up what we need to make a compost pile and actually have the kids start one of their own using scraps from lunch. I have learned a lot from looking at different websites. The only concern I have is that we have less than 2 months left of school and I am not sure how much decomposition the children will be able to observe in that amount of time. I was thinking of adding earthworms to it, but from what I can find, it sounds like the materials have to begin to decompose before you can add the worms. Thinking this is a great idea, but probably going to be an ongoing process for a while even if I have to work on it over the summer and have it ready for the children for next school year. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I will provide a couple of the useful links I have found.
http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/compost.cfm
http://www.mahalo.com/how-to-compost-indoors/