Google Adsense

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ocean Sensory Bin


This week, we finally made the ocean sensory bin with jello that I have been planning forever! There were a few fails on my part though that made it not turn out as planned, but we still had fun anyway and that's all that counts.

First of all, I had to use 8 boxes of jello and it still only turned out to be this much. I waited too long to add the sea animals and therefore it messed up the smoothness of the top (to give it the appearance of water).

Here is one of our sharks. Also, I tried putting these flat plastic glow-in-the-dark fish in, but not realizing that it would be very difficult to get enough light to them to make them glow once the jello set. But it's ok because we decided to take this messy project outside anyway.

He was a little tentative to put his hands in at first.



Then I showed him that he could eat it.

That really got him going and that's pretty much all he wanted to do after that.

We had a fun, messy time.

I finally got him to dig out some of the fish and he started making a pile of them on the bench, so I got him a bowl to collect them in.

Here's little man all jello-ed up!

Here is the aftermath!

Afterwards, we used the jello boxes to build with!

Enjoy and happy jello-ing :)





10 comments:

  1. I love this idea Lori! Your son is super cute too :)

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think so too, but then I am a little biased :)
      Lori

      Delete
  2. I would have never thought to make a sensory bin with jello. We did an ocean one and I put the rocks in that are colored and some sea creatures. Then I filled the bin with water and let my daughter scoop it out with a fish net. Love this idea and may have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, I love that idea too. I did get him a bath set of fish that swim in the water and it came with a net, so I might have to try that! Thanks for commenting!
      Lori

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's just so messy and fun to squeeze through your fingers (and eat). A little sticky though :)
      Lori

      Delete
  4. Love this! Good thing Jello is cheap...huh? We've done Jello play before too and it takes so many boxes! Thank you for sharing at our
    Pinteresting Party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought about adding more water than you are supposed to, but I wasn't sure if it would set right. Oh well.
      Lori

      Delete
  5. What an adorable idea! Definitely one to try during the summer months when playing outside is the best! Renee

    ReplyDelete